Monday, October 24, 2011

Slow-cooker Butternut Squash Tempeh Chili - Vegan, GF




Simple chili loaded with veggies and tempeh.  This recipes serves 4.

I soak the beans over night in the un-plugged crock pot.  If you didn't do this, you can use canned beans but make sure you rinse them.

8 oz dried black beans (soaked overnight, see above) 
1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 medium zucchini shredded
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 large can of chopped stewed tomatoes (20 oz?)
6oz Tempeh Crumbled
2 garlic cloves pressed
3 Tbs Chili powder (I use Frontier Organics)
1 Tbs Cumin powder
Hot Sauce (I use Crystal) to taste
Salt and Pepper 

After rinsing the beans that you soaked overnight return them to the crockpot and add about 24 oz of water.  Next add all of the veggies, the tempeh, freshly pressed garlic, cumin and chili powder and stir it up well. Turn the crock pot on high and let cook for at least 5 hours.  If you are going to be gone all day use the low or medium setting, make sure you do it first thing in the morning then!  

When it's almost time to eat salt and pepper it to taste. Use the hot sauce liberally :>

We like to eat ours with shredded cheddar, sour cream, chopped onions and fresh cilantro.

I know I shouldn't use canned tomatoes, but I haven't figured out a way to omit them yet. They are so easy! Maybe I could use fresh tomatoes and extra water... I'll have to get back to you on that.






No comments:

Post a Comment